Topic-icon BOOKS & ARTICLES TO READ

More
11 months 1 day ago #78 by Joan
Joan replied the topic: BOOKS & ARTICLES TO READ
If you are interested in reading about South African missionaries and their involvement in providing health care to communities:

Gelfand, M. 1984. Christian Doctor and Nurse. Sandton, Mariannhill Mission Press.

I found copy 155 in the University of South Africa (UNISA) library. Also note the detailed discussion about this book on our "Random Reading" discussion page.
More
1 year 1 week ago #75 by Joan
If you are interested in the professional development of nursing in South Africa and the questions that nurse leaders asked in the late 1980s read the proceedings of a symposium held in December 1989 at the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS).

Nursing at the crossroads: organisation, professionalisation and politicisation was edited by LC Rispel and published in June 1990 by The Centre for the Study of Health Policy, Department of Community Health, WITS.

Three focus areas were addressed at the symposium:
Becoming political? A challenge to nurses
Contemporary issues in nursing: an overview
Nurses and the future
More
1 year 10 months ago #63 by Joan
I received a message from one of our members asking the following: " I am surprised that Charlotte Searle's History of Nursing in South Africa is only listed in the Afrikaans version"

Thank you for noticing the omission from our list. I commenced with the books in my possession and only later acquired an English (original) version of the book. It was quite difficult to find an English copy, but eventually I bought one of five deluxe copies from an antique / classic book seller in Cape Town. Photos of this book, with Prof Searle's signature can be found in our photo gallery.

For the sake of clarity, I edited the first post of this discussion and added the English version before the Afrikaans version's listing.
More
1 year 10 months ago #62 by Joan
Online book shopping has it value! The following was book was found:

Searle, C. [Sa]. Getuienis van vyftig jaar van diens / Testimony to fifty years of service. Silverton, Promedia Publikasies. ISBN 0 949982 85 7

The book summarizes the first 50 years of the South African Nursing Association (SANA) and contains valuable photos of prominent personalities in the history of the organization.
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #56 by Joan
The history of health care services rendered in the then "Homelands" (Bantustans) has not yet received widespread attention.
In a comprehensive and informative article this topic is addressed by Anne Digby, who illustrates the challenges of health care in the Bantustans - and the innovative method(s) of health care developed to address these challenges:

Digby, A. 2012. 'The Bandwagon of Golden Opportunities'? Health care in South Africa's Bantustan Periphery. South African Historical Journal 64(4): 872-851.

Read about:
  • The system(s) of primary health care developed by Bantustans - an innovative approach which benefited post-1994 South Africa's development of a primary health care system.
  • The training of community health workers
  • The impact of malnutrition and disease on the primarily female, elderly and child population living in the Bantustans
  • The role of the traditional healers
  • Nurses as the backbone of such primary health care system

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #55 by Joan
I found an article that discusses the role of white, Afrikaner women in the Apartheid era and then focuses on their acceptance to tertiary institutions - specifically the University of Pretoria (UP):

Van der Merwe, R. 2011. Moulding volksmoeders of volks enemies? Female students at the University of Pretoria 1920-1970. Historia 56(1): 77-100.

Read about:
  • The role of the Afrikaner woman - "warrior" or "mother" ?
  • The restrictions placed on women by a strongly patriarchal society
  • 1927: UP establishes the Domestic Science Department where women attend subjects such as "Hygiene and Nursing". The department was part of the Faculty of Agricultural Science.
  • 1949: UP offers a Diploma in Nursing
  • 1967: The Department of Nursing is established at UP
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Joan. Reason: italics added to journal title